Skip to main content

Know that one thing by knowing which everything else is known

What is that one thing ?

We keep learning new things through reading, observing and by simply living each day. We get inspired by new ideas, new thoughts. And then we wish to implement these in our life. After some time, there is so much of "knowledge overload" that we find ourselves retaining nothing. Let me give an example:

I am presently re-reading Robin Sharma's, "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari". I am going very slow and I am trying to absorb everything. Making a mental note at every step. In fact the author concludes every chapter with a summary. And I am very much loving the process. Yet, I find myself losing grip with the simple wisdom brought out in the book.

After the age of 25-30 one is wise enough about various aspects of life. Especially so if one has a questioning mind. All the do's and don'ts, rights and wrongs are known. For example, we all understand that the two most damaging emotions are 'anger' and 'fear'. Yet we do not seem to have the capacity to overcome them. Why is it that we cannot do the things that we want to do? Or do the things that we know are good for us. We repeat mistakes and do things that are harmful for us. What is the way out? 

I would like to say the following:

1. Memory. Our ability to retain and recall is very important for our learning and growth. Those who feel that their memory is weak should not get disheartened because there is proof that memory can be improved by practicing scientific techniques. Connected with memory is our ability to choose what is really important. 

2. One thing at a timeObviously one cannot be a master of everything. Still, if one is 'HUNGRY FOR MORE', then, taking one thing at a time and implementing it in our lives till it becomes a habit is a sure way of making new things a part of our life. After this one must take on the next thing.

3. Awareness. Coming to why do we get angry, when we know that it is not good. It is because, we lack awareness in that moment. Awareness is SO IMPORTANT that it can compensate for a lot of other things.

4. Past Karma. We are beings who are on the path of evolution. God runs the simple program of "Cause and Effect". We reap what we sow. Everything happens for a reason. All these point to one thing-Karma. But we have hope because we can use our discrimination and free will to choose right. Thus, we can overcome our weaknesses, provided we are determined. 

5. Practice. This is MOST important. We have to be at a task till we succeed. Good things may not come easy. Practice is the key to self-improvement. By being patient and keeping "keep on keeping on" as our motto, we would be helped in our endeavor. We must never give up. 

6. Power of Present. The minutes are more important than the years. Take care of today and all the tomorrow's will take care of themselves. Do not wait until tomorrow. Do it now ! It will be the turning point of your life. 

So I have ended up making a new list. It goes like this - there is no perfect answer. We all are unique beings. Our problems and their solutions are also unique. So let us persevere and find out what works !

Finally, my answer to the first question is God. Because He is the "Source".

PS : We will not have enough of anything. Not even knowledge. King Solomon felt the same after achieving everything a man can. 

I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my labor, and this was the reward for all my toil. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun. (Ecclesiastes. 2:10-11)

Comments

  1. If you are doing one thing at a time with full awareness then I think sky is the limit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said- the one thing that I follow- soldier never quit until he dies..,,,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment