Skip to main content

Finally! here is my first post...

I was bitten by the writing bug when I was a child. It started in 1987 with "daily diary", when I was sent to the boarding school. I was a 15 year old adolescent, overflowing with thoughts. Hostel life was a very special experience. I got exposed to a new world, where at a young age, I learnt to fight my own battles. The stimulating environment in the boarding school, triggered my imaginations and I converted them to words. 

In 1989, I was selected for the prestigious National Defense Academy.  Getting selected for NDA was a a matter of great pride and honour. It is a unique institution where young boys with leadership potential undergo an encyclopedic three year training. It is said that in this leadership lab, "They turn boys to men". The training was tough, but, I continued with penning down my thoughts. In 1992, we were sent for specialized military training to Indian Military Academy and in 1993 I got commissioned as a Second-Lieutenant in the Indian Army. And I am glad that the I continued with my writing work as a young army officer. After this, it was in tit-bits on loose papers (still preserved). I don't know, if it was fear, lethargy, a dis-organised mind or a desire to write a perfect piece that brought this change. Although I carried the bug inside me, but, consciously or sub-consciously my creativity was suppressed for two long decades. there was a feeble attempt to write a blog in 2010 but I could not continue with it.

I guess writing requires a strong inner urge to manifest your thoughts into ink.  One also needs discipline and clarity of mind. I don’t know if I have all these now but I am ready to embrace my imperfections and I am letting my inner urge to take over. 

Quoting Richard Bach from Gift of Wings, " I am not a complicated soul who lives only for words in ink. In fact  the only time I can write is when some idea is so scarlet-fierce that it grabs me by the neck and drags me thrashing and screaming to the typewriter. I leave heel marks on the floor and fingernail scratches in the wall every inch of the way".

I guess for me too, it's time now!!

Comments

Post a Comment